According to the Pediatric Hospital case study, a kaizen event revealed that variability in operations performance and outcomes was the root cause of a bottleneck in scheduling MRIs. Three solutions were provided, including:
- Modify the master schedule.
- Streamline the insurance authorization process.
- Implement standardized work instructions.
- Assess operations requirements and resources for Pediatric Hospital. Describe what is working and what is not working.
- Conduct a quantitative and qualitative benchmark literature review and scan of operations best practices (from the health care industry or outside the health care industry) and provide and evaluate an example of an initiative that a high-reliability health care organization has implemented, and indicate how Pediatric Hospital can implement that initiative.
- Evaluate Pediatric Hospital’s readiness for the transition of health care systems from a volume- to value-based delivery system. Using data provided in this case, provide relevant and practical recommendations to improve its readiness and how it might affect the implementation of the initiative.
- Analyze the operational implications of 2–3 current health care reforms and mandates that might affect the implementation of the initiative.
- Consider current and future trends and forces in operations management excellence and assess how these can help this Pediatric Hospital and other similar health care organizations to become a sustainable model for high-reliability organization.